Jack Johnson - Flake

20111108:
[20111109]
It's been a while since I've attempted this song. I remember when I had trouble with the barred chords. Now it's a matter of memorizing the lyrics. Without memorizing the lyrics, I occasionally lose track of the position of the chords.

Otherwise, it's rather straightforward.
I: Dm F Bb F
I': Same as I but play each chord once.
II: Dm F Bb C
III: F C Dm A Bb C F C

Intro: I I
Verse: I I I II
Chors: III III
Verse: I' I' I II
Chors: III III

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/jack_johnson/flake_ver4_crd.htm

I can also practice the following strumming: D _ U D{palmhits} [U U U D U]

[20111110]
I've been practicing the strumming pattern. Today I started with the progression of the verse. Then the progression for the chorus. After practicing it a while I just focused on the lyrics. Then I tried to put it together.

[20111109]
In F major we have F Gm Am Bb C Dm Edim.
vi I IV I
vi I IV V
I V vi III iv V I V

The III would most likely be a result of D minor. It's been a while since I've looked at the music theory of minor scales though.
A Harmonic Minor Scale: A B C D E F G# A'
Am Bdim Caug Dm E F G#dim
A Ascending Melodic Minor Scale: A B C D E F# G# A'
Am Bm Caug D E F#dim G#dim
A Descending Melodic Minor Scale: A' G F E D C B A
Am Bdim C Dm Em F G
Right, so either in D harmonic minor or D ascending melodic minor, we'd get the III relative to F, i.e., A major.
i iidim IIIaug iv V VI viidim
i ii IIIaug IV V vidim viidim
i iidim III iv v VI VII
Mixing the "regular chords" we get i ii III iv IV v V VI VII

Wikipedia describes the natural-minor system:
Bb Eb Ab
Cm E Fm Gm Ab Abdom7 Bb
The diagram erroneously writes I III iv v VI VIdom7 VII.
But the paragraph correctly writes i III iv v VI VII.
Oh, the natural-minor system is taking the relative major and dropping the viidim of the relative major, which is the iidim of the minor.

Writing the "regular chords" back in the relative major scale we obtain:
I ii II iii III IV V vi vii.
For F, F Gm G Am A Bb C Dm Em

In Hotel California the chords are Bm D A Em E F# G.
This is B minor. D major.
For D, D Em E F#m F# G A Bm C#m.
In just D we'd only have D Em F#m G A Bm. And so we gained E and F#. Though it's possible the song uses an F#m and not an F#.
Bm F# A E G D Em F# is the progression of the verse.
G D F# Bm G Em F# is the chorus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bruno Mars - The Lazy Song

Nolwenn Leroy - Song of the Sea (Lullaby)

Everclear - Wonderful