Counting Crows - Mr. Jones

20101010:
This is one of the first songs I "learned" to play. The chords are simple. Now, I should tackle the chord breakdown and memorize it.

Key of C major or A minor.

Legend:
[I] Am F Dm G
[II] Am F G G
[III] C F G G
[IV] Am G Single Strum
[V] F G Single strum

Song Breakdown:
Intro I II
Verse I II I II
Intro I II
Verse I II I II
Chorus III III III
Verse I II I II
Chorus III III III
Bridge IV V IV V IV (Picks up coming into chorus)
Chorus III III III III
Chorus III III III III
Outro III

Strum Pattern:
I'm not sure, but I was listening to the song today and it sounds like maybe the pattern goes:
P_P_DUD_ or D_D_DUD_, where P is Pick a string, D is Down strum, and U is Up strum.
Or perhaps the pattern changes depending on the part.
D_D_DU__ or the way I've been playing it this whole time (in the past) D_DU_UDU.
Intro sounds like D_D__UD_. So it could be subsets of D_DU_UDU. Like D_DU_UD_.
Or perhaps the intro is PP_D_DU_ or DU_U_UD_ Maybe I'm just off by a beat...

Overall, I feel strongly about: D_D_DU__ with the occasional D_D_DU_U or D_D_DUDU.

One tab I saw and liked the pattern for, true to original or not is:
XUD_D_DU. But if that were shifted to being down first, it'd be DU_U_UD_, which you can find above. Oh, actually, you can find PP_D_DU_ above. So I'm inclined to think that it's UD_D_DU_ or at least some form of XX_X_XX_.

Tab:
This tab has the chords and lyrics. It's where I went to look for the chords. But I feel like the chords don't match up perfectly with the lyrics and its easier to either sing along with the song, or just go with it on your own.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/counting_crows/mr_jones_crd.htm

Lyrics Memorization:
So you're down at New Amsterdam checking out this girl and your friend is talking with another girl. And she's dancing while your father is playing flamenco on guitar. She's beautiful. You feel empty inside.

So you're dancing. And dancing. And drinking. Pass me a bottle you tell your friend. And you want to have dreams, you want to believe in something.

You joke around with your friend about the girl, and it'd be easier if you were famous. Like if you were a rock star smiling in the bright lights. If everybody loved you then you wouldn't be lonely. So you tell yourself.

Next verse if painting and art themed. You're gonna paint a picture. Blue, red, black and gray. All the colors are meaningful. Gray is your favorite. Picasso. You want to buy a gray guitar.

Chorus is like first, except you're looking into the future instead of listening to fairy tales. And you bought yourself that gray guitar you wanted to buy. Also the third-point of view changes to first-point of view.

The bridge becomes then about your own dreams. Starting with being a lion.

Lyrics:
Am F Dm Sha la la la la la la Am uh huh... F G G
I was down at the New Amsterdam staring at this yellow-haired girl
Mr. Jones strikes up a conversation with this black-haired flamenco dancer
She dances while his father plays guitar. She's suddenly beautiful
We all want something beautiful, I wish I was beautiful

So come dance this silence down through the morning
Sha la la la la la la la yeah uh huh...
Cut up, Maria! Show me some of them Spanish dances
Pass me a bottle, Mr. Jones
Believe in me. Help me believe in anything
'Cause I want to be someone who believes

Mr. Jones and me tell each other fairy tales
Stare at the beautiful women
"She's looking at you. Ah, no, no, she's looking at me."
Smiling in the bright lights, coming through in stereo
When everybody loves you, you can never be lonely

I will paint my picture. Paint myself in blue and red and black and gray
All of the beautiful colors are very, very meaningful
(you know) Gray is my favorite color I felt so symbolic yesterday
If I knew Picasso I would buy myself a gray guitar and play

Mr. Jones and me look into the future
Stare at the beautiful women
"She's looking at you. Uh, I don't think so. She's looking at me."
Standing in the spotlight I bought myself a gray guitar
When everybody loves me, I will never be lonely

I will never be lonely
I will never be lonely

I want to be a lion. Everybody wants to pass as cats
We All want to be big, big stars, but we got different reasons for that.
Believe in me because I don't believe in anything
And I want to be someone to believe, to believe, to believe.

Mr. Jones and me stumbling through the barrio
Yeah we stare at the beautiful women "She's perfect for you, man, there's got to be somebody for me."

I want to be Bob Dylan Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky
When everybody loves you, son, that's just about as funky as you can be.

Mr. Jones and me staring at the video
When I look at the television, I want to see me staring right back at me.

We all want to be big stars, but we don't know why, and we don't know how.
But when everybody loves me, I'm going to be just about as happy as I can be.

Mr. Jones and me, we're gonna be big stars.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bruno Mars - The Lazy Song

Nolwenn Leroy - Song of the Sea (Lullaby)

Everclear - Wonderful