Baby, It's Cold Outside

Relevant Links:
Baby, It's Cold Outside (Wikipedia.org)

Afternoon: PN on his (tenor) ukulele, SH, PN, and I singing different parts. Though I didn't know the song as well as they did, so I just sung underneath one of them.
Evening: I tried practicing the song on ukulele for a while. A lot of the chords slowly became easier to transition to.
Evening Evening: PN on his ukulele, SH on ukulele, and me on guitar. We started off SH singing the female part, PN singing the male part, and I had freedom of choice. First couple rounds I just focused on guitar and keeping rhythm. When I started singing, I went with the simpler female part. Eventually, TH and I singing the female part, PN and SH singing the male part. This worked pretty well after a couple of tries.

Some notes on our playing: Most chords held for one measure. For "Ah but it's [G7]cold [C7]out[F]side," the G7 and C7 each get half a measure and F goes back to getting a full measure. For playing rhythm, this means in a half measure I would pluck and strum once and for a full measure twice. Sometimes I could strum twice instead of a pluck and strum, or switch and do the same strumming that happens on the ukulele. In the very last line then G7 and C7 get a full measure.

The below comes from http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/xmas/xmas_coldoutside.html which I cross referenced with another music sheet. Basically I moved the chords from the link with the timing of the music sheet. Though ultimately it's easier just to sing and play intuitively than to try and be precise about the timing. In addition, there were a couple of differences in the lyrics and I liked the ones from the music sheet. It's possible that over time, different artists have substituted different lyrics in for the original. There's definitely room to play with some of the lyrics. For example, instead of "but baby it's cold outside," one could sing "brr baby it's cold outside" or omit the "but."

In the end we have:
I: F F7 Gm7 C7
II: F F7 Cm7 Cm7
III: Bb Bb Bb7 Bb7
III': Bb Bb Bb7 C7
IV: F Dm7 G7 C7
IV': F F7 Gm7C7 F
V:

I II
III IV
I II
III IV'
V
I II
III IV
II II
III' IV'

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Frank Loesser
I [F]really {2}can't stay {3}{4}[F7]{6}
But {3}baby {4}it's cold [F7] out {6} side {7}
I've [Gm7]got to {2}go 'way {3}{4}[C7]{6}
But {3}baby {4}it's cold [C7] out {6}side {7}
This [F]evening {2}has been {3}{4}[F7] {6}So {7}ve{8}ry
Been {3}hoping {4}that you'd [F7] drop {6} in {7}
[Cm7]nice {2}{3}{4}{5}{6}
I'll {2} {3}hold {4}your hands, {5} {6}they're {7}just {8}like {1}ice {2}{3}

My [Bb]mother {2}will {3}start {4}to {5}worry {6}
{5}Beauti{6}ful, {7}what's {8}your [Bb7]hurry? {2}
And [Bb7]father {2}will be {3}pacing {4}the {5}floor {6}{7}
{5}Listen {6}to the {7}fire{8}place [F]roar
So [F]really {2}I'd {3}bet{4}ter [Dm7]scurry {6}
[Dm7]Beauti{6}ful, {7}please {8}don't [G7]hurry {2}
Well, [G7]maybe {2}just a {3}half a {4}drink [C7]more {6}{7}
[C7]Put some {6}records {7}on while {8}I pour [F]

The [F]neighbors {2}might think {3} {4}[F7]{6}
But {3}baby {4}it's bad [F7] out {2} there {3}
Say, [Gm7]what's in {2}this drink? {3}{4}[C7]{6}
No {3}cabs to {4}be had [C7] out {6} there {7}
I [F]wish I {2}knew how {3}{4}[F7] {6}To {7}break {8}the
Your {3}eyes are {4}like star [F7] light {6} now {7}
[Cm7]spell {2}{3}{4}{5}{6}
I'll {2} {3}take {4}your hat, {5} {6}your {7}hair {8}looks [Bb]swell {2}{3}

I [Bb]ought to say no, no, no, sir
Mind if I move in closer?
At [Bb7]least I'm gonna say that I [C7]tried
What's the sense of hurtin' my pride?
I [F]really can't stay {3}{4}[F7]{6} {7}Ah but {8}it's cold
Oh {3}baby {4}don't hold [F7] out {6} {7}Baby {8}it's cold
[G7] {2} [C7]out {4} [F]side {6}{7}{R}
[G7] {2} [C7]out {4} [F]side {6}{7}{R}

{Two full measures pass for instrumental}

I [F]simply must go
But baby it's cold [F7] outside
The [Gm7]answer is no
But baby it's cold [C7] outside
The [F]welcome has been
How lucky that you [F7] dropped in
So nice and [Cm7]warm
[Cm7] Look out that window at that [Bb]storm

My [Bb]sister will be suspicious
{5}Gosh your lips look de[Bb7]licious
My [Bb7]brother will be there at the door
Waves upon a tropical shore
My [F]maiden aunt's mind is [Dm7]vicious
[Dm7]Gosh your lips are delicious
Well, [G7]maybe just a cigarette [C7]more
[C7]Never such a blizzard before

I've [F]got to get home
But baby you'd freeze [F7] out there
Say, [Gm7]lend me a comb/coat
It's up to your knees [C7] out there
You've [F]really been grand {3}{4}{5} but don't you
I thrill when you touch [F7] my hand
[Cm7]see {2}{3}{4}{5}{6}
How {2}{3}can {4}you do this thing to [Bb]me?

There's [Bb]bound to be talk tomorrow
{5}Think of my lifelong sorrow
At [Bb7]least there will be plenty im[C7]plied
[C7]If you caught pneumonia and died
I [F]really can't stay {3}{4}[F7]{6}
Get {3}over {4}that old [F7]doubt
{7}Ah but {8}it's cold [G7]{2} [C7]out {4} [F]side {6}{7}
{7}Baby {8}it's cold [G7]{2} [C7]out {4} [F]side {6}{7}

Optional [If sung, then shorten the note length of "side" above]:
{7}Baby {8}it's cold [G7]{2}{3}{4} [C7]out {6}{7}{8} [F]side {2}{3}{4}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bruno Mars - The Lazy Song

Nolwenn Leroy - Song of the Sea (Lullaby)

The Calling - Wherever You Will Go [C2]